Buli bike basket
The perfect basket for picking up flowers at the local market and days out pedalling through the countryside. It is roomy enough inside to store books and stationery, a picnic blanket and lunch, or your gym kit and trainers. It can also be secured to stairway bannisters, bathroom towel rails and cots as an aesthetic storage basket. Each bike basket is a work of art - taking up to three days to weave by hand - and is made from an indigenous crop known colloquially as ‘elephant grass’. This indigenous grass is hand-rolled and dyed in boiling water before being woven by a skilled member of the weaving cooperative in Northern Ghana.
The majority of weavers in the Northern Ghana cooperative are arable and livestock farmers. Basket weaving - a skill passed along the generations in many families – has become a source of alternative income for these communities during the dry seasons, helping families to meet their basic living costs. To own one of our woven baskets is to become a part of this legacy.
Each bicycle basket comes with a thank you card from the weavingco-operative that made yours.
- material: VETA VERA GRASS & LEATHER
- dimensions: D25cm x W35cm x H25cm (approx)
- two leather straps are included.
- please note, as dyes are natural, colours may fade over time
- if your basket gets wet, simply leave it to dry naturally and re-shape
- when not in use, we recommend storing somewhere completely dry (and damp proof!)
- as each basket is individually handmade, some variation in size and colour may occur